Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Post #5

This has been a very different kind of trip for me. Though I have traveled before, I feel like in some ways I have learned more on this trip than on any of the others. The reason for this is two-fold.

First of all, being at the school has been a unique and enjoyable experience. What I experienced there was a lot different from what I expected. Everyone, from the teachers to the students, is very laid back and easy-going. The atmosphere is very pleasant. However, there is not a lack of professionalism. While the manner in which classes are taught seems more laid back than I am accustomed to in the states, there is a lot of order in the school, from the way a student's education is laid out from the time he or she is in preschool to graduation, to the auxiliary programs, such as the health services (of which I have more familiarity than I would like to admit). In terms of my involvement, my experiences were also different from my expectations. I realized rather quickly that 1st and 2nd grade Spanish has nothing to do with the way I was trained to teach Spanish as a second language, but is much more similar to elementary education, a field where I have no experience. So in the end, the most I could do was assist with the class duties, answer spelling questions on occasion, and try to keep students on task. Even leading a small lesson would not have been possible. The teachers I worked with the most, Trini and Ine, were great companions and quickly became my friends. The kids are super sweet, and I enjoyed seeing them work in their native language. However, as much as I enjoyed the kids and the atmosphere, I came to realize two things: first of all, that elementary school teachers are incredibly special, and that I simply could not fill that role as well as the one I am going to fill- teaching in High school. There is so much that the teacher has to be concerned with in terms of their growth and academic progress, their discipline, and how much they are shown that they are cared for. Elementary teachers essentially become the parents of those children, even in the short space of time that they have them. The second thing I came to realize is that, as much as I never like leaving a new country I have grown to love, I would not be content forever in Colegio Menor. The school is very unique in that students are immersed in English from the time they are preschoolers, so that they are essentially bilingual by the time they reach 1st grade. Many times, The 1st grade students would speak to me in English- though I insisted that I understood Spanish- either to tease me or to take pity on my poor grammar, I am not sure which. That being said, there is no role that I could fill at this school. My passion is for teaching language, and neither of the languages I could teach need to be taught. However, being here has given me more reason to possibly return and teach in a school once I have obtained an ESL endorsement. Who knows?


The second reason this trip has been so different is possibly no less complex. My previous trips have all been guided in some way. When I went to Spain, there were teachers watching over us, and the entire trip was planned ahead of time and led by a guide. When I went to Colombia and Argentina, I was there on mission, joined with a team of like-minded individuals and led by team leaders and local missionaries who conjointly planned where we would go, what we would do, etc. This time, however, there was no leader to look to daily. There were no translators at our side at every moment. This trip has forced me to become even more independent, and to be confident enough to step out on my own, to go and have experiences without expecting others to join in. My language skills have at least improved some, but more importantly, I have learned how to successfully communicate my needs and desires. I have learned more about the public transportation system in this country than in any other I have been to, even more than the states. I have been able to do things and see things that I never would have if I had clung to my travel companions, and I believe these experiences have helped me grow in my knowledge and love of the language and the country. I have also had to deal with "hiccups" more on my own than on any other trip, and I have experienced many. I have been sick- on both ends of the trip. I lost my phone, my camera broke the same day, there have been instances of miscommunication and awkwardness, and certainly plenty of rain. But through everything, I have learned from my mistakes (always keep your valuables well hidden and in your front, never eat food from a street vendor) and I may not have had that opportunity if I had had the sheltering of a leader.

All in all, it has been a long, educational, and unexpected sort of trip, and as always, upon leaving, I want to return, though I may not ever again get that chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment